From the conception of Louvain-la-Neuve, its planners anticipated the needs and challenges of tomorrow.
By creating a flexible city, new projects have been, and continue to be, completed seamlessly. The city, in fact, is constantly under necessary, but welcome, urban development !
The building of the esplanade Mall in 2005 changed the face of Louvain-la-Neuve and redynamized the town center, a true call for investors that no longer hesitate to flock to the city.
• The pedestrian center will be extended to above the center ring between the Aula Magna and the Rampe du Val. The project includes the construction of a two-star hotel, a residence and service center for seniors and three small apartment buildings.
• A new university museum will be launched in the current Library of Sciences and Technology's around 2015, an emblematic building of the university and the city. The Museum of Louvain-la-Neuve being cramped in its current location, it was imperative to plan a new settlement. An ingenious project that will promote the animation uptown, in addition with the restoration of the area. The Museum of the Dialogue will develop the link between arts and sciences and between the historic and the current center of the city
• A new theater between the current Jean Vilar and Rue Rabelais is a community projects initiated with the University (UCL). The theater is located on the narrow Rue du Sablon. Because of this, the plan is to increase the center above the Sablon parking lot for this building.
• An extension is planned for the mall's L'esplanade. The french society Klépière (owner) and Devimo (manager) signed an agreement with a common desire to enlarge L'esplanade. Devimo will be responsible for the management of the extension if it is built. Not yet building permits, or intended location and specific project. It will therefore have to wait until we know more !
• The RER parking lot with 2300 spaces will be completed close to Nationale 4, coupled with a 900 spot resident parking lot, with the view of creating an eco-district above it. This new district will have housing, offices and shops with a total ground surface area of 56 000 m². 500 apartments and student accomodations are planned.